Sunday, September 16, 2012

Letter to Sunny, #3

Lastly, I had this third letter recorded in Creole to give Sunny some idea of what to expect at home. I will let her listen to this towards the end of travel or maybe a day or so into being home.


Dear Sunny,

I hope my letters by way of these recordings have helped you. I want to share with you a few things about your new home.  I hope you love it!

We live in Amarillo, Texas. The weather is very different in Amarillo than it is in Haiti. It will be colder in the fall and winter months than you are used to. The land is very different too. There are no mountains in Amarillo. But we do have big skies and wide open land. The sunsets are very pretty here.

At home, you will be sharing a room with Libby and Gracie upstairs. Your first few nights may seem a little scary since you will be in a new place, but your sisters will be in beds right next to yours and we have what we call “monitors” in your room so that if you call out for me, I will hear you in my room and I will come to you if you need anything.

Your new home will be very different than where you lived in Haiti. It will seem quieter, but it will be busier. You will do school at home. Mom will be your teacher. We call that “homeschool”.  After you settle into your new home for a few days, the first thing we will begin learning is English and reading. I can’t wait for you to learn to speak and read English! It will take a lot of work and time, but I know you can do it! And we will help you!

We keep a schedule at home. We usually wake around 7 in the morning and get dressed and ready for the day and do our chores. We have breakfast shortly after that and read the Bible and pray together. Then we head to the school room and begin our studies for the day. Libby’s lessons will take longer than yours to begin with because she is already in 1st grade. But you will catch up soon!  Give me some grace as I learn how to teach you. I will learn many things as I teach you. It will be hard work for all of us, but very worth the effort! I’m very excited to be your mom AND your teacher! I am so blessed!

We have 3 meals every day; breakfast, lunch and dinner. I will also give you a healthy snack every two hours. We promise you will have plenty to eat and you will not have to worry about not having enough food.

We have a little dog. Her name is “Henna”. She might jump on you because she will be excited to see you, but she is safe and does not bite. You can pet her and she will be so happy you are here.

Dad goes to work during the day Monday through Thursday and is home Friday through Sunday. We all go to church on Sunday mornings. I will keep you in the service with me until you have enough English to go to a class with students your age.

We have a few house rules:
1.     Honor your dad and mom.
2.     Love one another
3.     Food stays in the kitchen
4.     Help to keep the house clean.
5.     Work hard at school each day

Remember, it is okay if you are frustrated, scared, or sad as you make so many changes and learn so many new things. You have been through many changes. Life is completely different for you now. You may be happy to have your new family and still miss your old life in Haiti at the same time. That is okay.

If you need to cry, you can cry without anybody making fun of you. We will all understand. If you need a hug from mom or dad – just say “hug”. Whatever you need, find a way to tell us the best you can and we will do our best to understand.

I can’t believe the time of having you home is finally here. You are our daughter now! What a great thing Jesus has done for us all!

I love you, Sunny.  You will never know how much.

Love,
Mom 

And that sums up the translated/recorded letters to Sunny. Makes me cry just re-reading them. This is really happening. Pinch me!

5 comments:

Sally said...

So glad the time is finally here.. to make final preparations for Libby and your family. I brought home a 5 yr old little boy from Honduras last October (2 older bio siblings) and taught him at home full-time for 3 months. This is a neat blog for ideas or inspiration. I know what a stressful, but happy time this is.

http://preschoolalphabet.blogspot.com

The Reeds said...

I just cried through four posts. I praise Jesus with you. I wish I lived in Amarillo and I could help you teach her English (like you would want that- ha!). So so happy for you and will be praying through your transitions.


Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy,
My name is Mandy and I've been following your blog for a long time now... Maybe even since the beginning of your journey to bring Sunny home. It was around that time that the Lord began to prepare our hearts to receive a child through adoption. I have prayed for you guys and have cried along with my two girls (age 7 and 5 years) over your struggle to bring your little girl home. I have often checked your blog thinking surely the day was drawing near, only to find that you were still waiting. The Lord has been in control and, as you wrote, He knew the perfect time for Sunny to come home. I found it hard to breathe as I read your letters and will be praying for your family in the coming weeks. What joy. Pray for us as we have become a foster family. We have had three children join and then leave our home since May. We have loved the experience, but it has been hard. We look forward to the day that we can provide a forever home to one of them. Thank you for being so honest and open with your journey. I have been changed because of it. I can't wait to see a new family photo!

French Marianne said...

Cindy

we are so happy for you all. Sweet Sunny will soon be there with you all. Marianne, from France, mum to Ninon (Libby's Xu cousin)

melifaif said...

It made me cry as well. She has been loved for so long....time to bring that love HOME!!!!! Many blessings to you all....sincerely from the bottom of my heart. You are simply put.....AMAZING!!!!!

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio